The school has its origins in the first Horwich Board School founded in 1896 and built at a cost of just over £5000. The first Head Teacher, Septimus Naylor opened its doors on Monday 22nd February 1897 when 140 boys and girls were admitted.
In 1903 the Horwich Infants Board School was completed providing accommodation for 300 children and thereby relieving the “mixed” school for an additional 120 places.
Both buildings were designed in a free treatment of the Renaissance style of architecture. The materials used were Ruabon brick facings with Yorkshire and local stone dressings.
In the sixties, to meet demands, both buildings, Infant and Junior, were extended providing generous hall, kitchen and classroom facilities. Play areas and games pitches were also included in this development.
Until 2003, CNR had been a split site school with the infants housed on the north side of Chorley New Road and the juniors on the south side. In 2003 our long term aim to become a single site school was fulfilled when the school had a brand new Key Stage 1 and Foundation Stage block constructed and the original infants school was demolished.
In September 2018 we moved in to a brand new, state of the art building. We worked closely alongside the designers and builders and Willmott Dixon and created an amazing space both indoor and outdoor which enables our children to receive the highest standard of education.
From spacious classrooms, cooking room, Nurture group room and sensory room to the Multi Use Games Area, outdoor classrooms and trim trail who wouldn’t want to be a child here!